Available for pre-order this fall. Stock will be limited, so order early for best selection.
Optimize Shipping: Shipping is calculated by box size. We can fit up to 8 bare-root fruit trees in a box. Multi-budded fruit trees, Persimmon and Jujube trees will count as 2 due to branching. Optimize your shipping by ordering multiple trees.
Hachiya Persimmon- Variety Information
- Grafted onto D. Lotus rootstock (Standard).
- Large, oblong fruit with deep red-orange skin and deep orange flesh.
- Sweet, flavorful, astringent until soft-ripe.
- Translucent skin and jelly-like flesh.
- A ripe Hachiya is sweeter than Fuyu.
- Low chill hours, good choice for milder climates.
- The mature fruit can be left out in boxes at room temperature to ripen.
- It can also be dried while it is still firm and it will become sweet during the dehydration process.
- The tree is productive and highly ornamental with beautiful glossy green foliage in the summer and red, orange, and yellow fall foliage in the fall.
- Fruit requires hot summers for ripening.
- A good variety for drying and pickling.
- zones 7-10, 200 chill hours
- This fruit tree is shipped dormant and bare-rooted.
- Click here for information on how to plant bare-root trees
- VIDEO: How we ship bare root fruit trees to your door.
What is a Bare Root Fruit Tree?
A Bare root fruit tree is a 2-3 year old fruit tree which has been dormant for the winter. It is delivered to you without soil. The best time to plant bare root fruit trees is the end of the winter season. This gives your tree time to acclimate to it's environment before the warmth of spring comes.
Dormant Tree & Plant Guarantee:
We guarantee that trees that are shipped dormant will leaf out the following spring if you follow our growing and handling instructions. Any dormant tree that does not leaf out can qualify for a refund if you submit a claim by May 15th. All deciduous fruit trees, persimmons and jujubes need to be planted in the ground by April 1st to qualify for replacement, unless you are in area where the ground is still frozen at that time.
In the rare event that your dormant tree/plant has not leafed out by May 1st, please perform a “scratch test” to check for green under the bark. Just beneath the dry, outer layer of bark in a tree's trunk lies the cambium layer. In a living tree, this is green; in a dead tree, it is brown and dry. To perform a “scratch test”, scratch off the top layer of bark in a small spot on a branch and on the trunk. Be sure to do 1 test above the graft union, and a 2nd just below the graft union. If the scratch test reveals a brown cambium, that means your tree/plant is dead or dying.
To qualify for a refund, you must submit a claim via email to email@example.com by no later than May 15th. Please include your order number in the subject line of your email.
Claims must include:
-Photos of the scratch test areas
-Your order number
-Name(s) of trees affected.
We will review your claim and if approved, we will issue you a refund for the purchase price of your dormant tree (excluding shipping). We reserve the right to not issue a refund for items that have already been replaced.
Protect your tree from sunburn, insects & rodents with PLANT GUARD tree paint & foliar spray.
Protect your roots from rodents with ROOT GUARD the original gopher wire basket.
Feed your fruit tree with Romeo Plant Food. This water-soluble fertilizer is great for in-ground or in-container growing.
- Our trees are measured by trunk caliper.
- Trunk size may vary slightly based on availability during the season.
- Average trunk size is 3/4".
All of our bare root fruit trees will come pruned so that the reduced root mass is balanced with the canopy to maximize grower success. Our bare root fruit trees are headed back to fit in the 60" tall box that they will ship in. Branches are seldom removed during this process unless dead or damaged and are only reduced to fit the tree in the box so that the grower can decide what branches to keep or remove. This is done in a way that will allow the home grower to continue to grow the tree as a central leader or prune the tree to an open center.
The tree will be shipped dormant and bare-rooted.